- Name: VIVID, opening night party for Spectacle: The Music Video
- Date: Friday May 16, 2014
- Location: EMP Museum, Seattle
- Who was there: Macklemore, Ryan Lewis, Damian Kulash of OK Go, Krist Novoselic of Nirvana, exhibition designer/filmmaker Alexei Tylevich and 1,202 music video fans.
- What was served: Surprises at every turn
VIVID, the opening night reception for Spectacle: The Music Video brought musicians, filmmakers and fans of music video young and old to Seattle’s EMP Museum. The night marked the West Coast debut and return to the U.S. of the exhibition which most recently had a successful run in Melbourne, Australia. The elaborate event featured specially curated music video screenings, video reenactments, an 80’s video karaoke lounge, filmmaker talks and a surprise performance by hometown heroes Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. The exhibition will be on view at the EMP until January 2015.
The event featured live re-creations of iconic music videos including Michel Gondry’s Daft Punk “Around the World” as captured in this video shot by audience member Ross Lambert
Spectacle is featured in EMP’s Milestones gallery and opens with the exhibition’s neon logo and never-before-exhibited costumes from Macklemore & Ryan Lewis “Thrift Shop.” On the far right you can see EMP’s prized spinner car from Blade Runner.
The floor shook when Macklemore & Ryan Lewis performed a rousing version of “Can’t Hold Us” captured here by audience member Ross Lambert
- Social Web